Community Manager – Washington, DC at Tastemakers Africa
What’s in it for you:
FT Salary (contractual), a chance to chart the future of travel and leisure in Africa
About Tastemakers Africa
Tastemakers is disrupting what the world thinks about Africa one trip at a time. We connect travelers who want to go beyond safaris to local influencers in African cities. Find us on Twitter/Instagram @tstmkrsafrica and at www.tastemakersafrica.com. We are an innovative team that has been featured in Entrepreneur, forbes.com, Afar.com, CNN, Amadeus, Suitcase Magazine and more. We are currently focused on Accra, Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Nairobi with eyes on both penetration and expansion.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for a DC-based Community Manager that can inspire people to use our platform and parlay us into epic partnerships with companies we love. We need someone who can not only hit their numbers but is savvy enough to inspire “tastemakers” from a wide range of communities. We’re building Tastemakers Africa to help people find and book hip experiences while traveling in Africa. We address the gaps in marketing African travel and connect people to influential locals and insider experiences.
To Apply: send your resume/portfolio and statement of interest with the following subject format [Community Manager – DC ] to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include links to your LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter profiles when available
You have a contagious can-do attitude and proven track record in sales and/or business development. When you work hard, you sweat excellence. You bring confidence without attitude. You have 1 – 3 years of experience in partnerships, sales, or business development preferably at a technology startup and have a boat load of connections in DC. You also are team internet and understand how offline and online together are major keys. You keep track and understand that an event isn’t poppin if the data ain’t 🙂
Other chops we look for: Insistence on systems and accountability. A true passion for community. Event planning experience. Experience working with African businesses, the hospitality industry, or in the lifestyle industry.
About the opportunity: You are the “heart and soul” of our business in your market responsible for evangelizing TSTMKRS in key communities. You will also be responsible for local partnerships. You will work closely with our Founder and CEO, sister-market Community Managers.
– We prefer candidates with some travel experience in Africa.
– You must be based in the city you are applying and domestic travel is expected (no relocation will be provided).
– The selected candidate will join a very fast-paced start-up environment. This person has the critical responsibility of driving real-time interactions with potential users.
– communicates product to market
– organizes and curates events and speaking engagements
– track and produce data on user acquisition and drives conversion strategy from offline events
– initiate local marketing and user growth strategies
– build from the ground up defining offline and online strategies to activate their community.
– engage with local stakeholders inspiring them to bring their best to the platform
– identifying ways for us to create value for travelers beyond booking
– Analyse and benchmark existing user base to identify growth opportunities and build the network in order to provide the best possible experiences to guests
– Collect feedback from the community and ensure that those inputs get to the product team.
– Identify hyper local initiatives and projects, plan and execute locally relevant partnerships and deals for market activation
– Identify potential leads in market, through online and offline sources, and identify local TSTMKRS Ambassadors that can support user outreach
– Familiarity with travel groups, Africa-interested organizations, influencer scene
– Proficiency in spoken and written English is a must
– Excellent communication and presentation skills
– Ability to negotiate with small local vendors and build relationships
– Prior experience in community management is a plus.
– Well versed with productivity tools – Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel
– Must be able to work independently
– Should have a great sense of humor, be creatively inclined, and passionate about your city.
We have a base in NYC and are looking to build a global team. The current team has a background in international development, media relations, programming, law, and finance. We’re passionate about Africa, and we work hard but also play hard. We have raised capital from investors in Africa and the USA. Contact us today, we want to hear from you!